I’m taking part in a Library Day in the Life event. Since I am tweeting and posting Flickr photos as well, I think I’ll make this day in the life a single post on the blog here. Updated throughout the day.
Thus: I am Steven R. Harris, Director of Collections & Acquisitions Services at the University of New Mexico. It’s a hugely busy day!
- Write performance reviews
- Catch up on hugely behind email
- Write a library funding proposal to our VP of Research
- Settle agenda for the Faculty Senate Library Committee (which I chair) for meeting tomorrow
- Go to a search committee meeting
- Meet with selectors to talk about Latin American book approval plans and whether we should make them deposit accounts
The play by play:
6:10 a.m. Got on the bus an hour earlier than normal to catch up on this work
7:00 a.m. Satellite Coffee to catch up on email and read a journal license agreement.
- One of the reasons I have such a hard time keeping up with email is that so much of it anymore requires that I do something. No breezing through without several minutes of follow up. Takes me a half hour to do 10 emails. Bleh!
10:00 a.m. Still on email. My life is putting out one fire after another sent to me via email. Order books, schedule meetings, review minutes, cancel meetings, compile responses about database renewals, send purchase orders.